Saturday, June 11, 2011

CELEBRATE THE MAKING OF ME

A SIMPLE PATH TO THE MAKING OF ME




"I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day."


Abraham Lincoln




I was invited to play softball on our local team. I had played for years and always was the picture. This year was different. I had not played in a couple of years and did not know if I still had the edge.




I was nervous driving to my first game. Did I still have it, What if I can't pitch like I use to?


The questions buzzed my mind.




My turn up to bat, this was my weakest position. I got a base hit. Going for one isn't bad, but I would like to knock it out of the ball park one time.




After the game, I changed out of my uniform. Once finished, I tossed my bat and glove over my shoulder and strolled out of the dugout without much energy. I don't see the girl waiting for me.




"will you teach me to pitch like you?" the young girl asked.




I patted her on the head and said, "Sure."




On the way home, I thought about the game. I am a good pitcher, because I can consecrate but my batting was upsetting to me. Time to hit the park.




Larry, suggested to me that the reason the girl asked me to teach her to play wasn't because I had a great game, but because I was in the game.




CELEBRATE THE MAKING OF ME. Celebrate the long hours I had put into pitching. Celebrate how I hit softball after softball until my hands bleed. Celebrate the times I am on the practice fill instead of in front of the television. Celebrate how softball is making me into a lady of passion.




Sometimes the simple path to the making of me isn't defined by one great moment, but by all the moments when the more difficult choice is made.

1 comment: