Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Wandering in the wilderness

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow – that is patience.” ~ Anonymous

Ok, so I’m in a season of life where I’m just waiting for the next big thing to happen. I feel like I’m listening to God’s promptings and being obedient by doing what I feel I’m being called to do. However, it doesn’t seem like there’s really anything happening. Even the little things going on don’t seem to be coming together for a means to an end. It’s hard to be patient when you feel like you’ve been waiting and wandering in the wilderness without even a bread crumb trail to lead you into the promised land. Truth be told, there are days I probably wouldn’t even recognize a bread crumb trail if the entire loaf of bread was waved in front of my face!

Despite my personal frustration, I know many of you have been in a similar place in life at some point where waiting and being patient is difficult at best. We’re all such a bunch of control freaks that it’s hard to let go of our lives long enough to let God lead us in the direction in which He wants us to go. However, when we do finally feel like we’ve let go, we expect Him to lead us directly to the end of the path for the answers we’ve been waiting to see or hear. I know you’ve heard this expression before: “Getting there is half the fun.” Sometimes I don’t know if I totally agree with that phrase, but I do agree we need to step outside of ourselves long enough to realize that there is much more going on behind the scenes of our lives than we can even fathom. So for now, I’ll simply work on my patience and try to find the joy along this journey called life. Won’t you join me?

Romans 8:24-25 says “If we already have something, we don’t need to hope for it. But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.” Make a list of the things you are impatient about today. Then pray for the strength to patiently await the results you are hoping to receive.

Be Excellent!

13 comments:

  1. Love your writing, love your transparency, love your heart. Looking forward to coming back to visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog muito interessante... parabéns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your blog while browsing..... I'll stop by again :)
    http://lucysfishbowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog...love this post. I can so relate. Keep writing! Speaking from one who needs to do so myself! God is at every turn, every twist and every standstill! Have a blessed day! www.suzannegmoore.blogspot.com Blessings,Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Your Post, Thanks For Sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. At a frustrating point in my life...reading this made me smile and let go...thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "But to keep going when the going is hard and slow – that is patience." - THANKS FOR SUCH LOVELY QUOTES

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to see people "are listening to God" and "doing what they feel." It is almost as if you are your own god.

    If Freud is to be believed, that is exactly what you are.

    There are three aspects of a person's psyche, the id, the ego, and the superego. The id is your visceral response or biological urges (the pleasure seeking part of your brain which demands immediate gratification). The ego is the cognitive processing center, which uses reason to fulfill wants and desires. The ego is developed by experience and is in place by the age of three.

    Lastly, is the superego, which is the "god within." There are two components to the superego, the ideal self and the conscience. One is the image we wish to aspire to. For Christians, this is the perceived version of Jesus, you wish to emulate. For Muslims, this an image of Mohammed. For both, the conscience is the "voice of God/Allah," whispering in his mind.

    The desire for this voice to be the god within doesn't make it any less a reflection of your own desires.

    In short, there are reasons for your dissatisfaction with where you are in life. If you are not satisfied with the life you live, make a conscious decision to make a change rather than waiting for your subconscious to do it for you.

    Otherwise, you are ruled by a superego placed in your mind by the conditioning of dogma and societal programming.

    Then again… this is an old post that I found randomly. Perhaps this response is irrelevant to your situation. Maybe you made a conscious change. Maybe you allowed societal influences, altering the perception of your ideal self, make that change for you.

    Either way… cheers.

    ReplyDelete